pronto
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Post by pronto » Oct 19, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Gostev
Gostev wrote:
Sep 18, 2018 10:29 pm
However, have you considered backing up your large file server with the File to Tape job instead? This job type creates tape backups which support fast file-level restores from tape - exactly what you are looking for. Please, do check it out and let us know.
A file level backup to tape over a Gigabit network is not advisable because much too slow for the drive. The drive will be throttled at best, and worst case it will go into a stop and go mode, which will negatively affect the life expectancy of the drive.

I wonder what's so hard about developing a single item restore from tape but at least we now have a clear announcement that this won't happen in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, we are handling our tape backup again with our old backup software, but we are confronted with 1.500 Euro maintenance costs every year, just so that you have an idea of what your denial costs your customers. Customer friendliness spells itself differently...

Thx & Bye Tom

Ioannis.T
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ioannis Tsitsiklis

Post by Ioannis.T » Oct 22, 2018 5:04 am

hi pronto
pronto wrote:
Oct 19, 2018 6:20 pm

Anyway, we are handling our tape backup again with our old backup software,
Can you please share the name of the product you are using to achive this, your old backup software that is.
Or if you do not want to post it in the forums just send me a pm.
I am really interested in checking it out, since so far, I have never tested a backup solution that does FLR from a VMDK from A tape. I have not tested every backup software so... :D
like csydas said in a earlier post, tapes are sequential mediums so random reads must be very sophisticated.

Thanks

pronto
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by pronto » Oct 22, 2018 8:05 am

Sevus,

I don't have any software that can recover individual files from a Veeam backup file on tape, I simply back up our large file server with our old backup software (Retrospect). The disadvantage of this is that it is quite slow, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, namely that I only have to store the large amount of data once on the backup server's storage (one week), the rest can be on tape. On the other hand, I can also recover individual files from tape relatively quickly.

With Veeam I only back up smaller servers, where you can easily leave several weeks on the backup server storage. And of course the replication of virtual machines is their core competence and they can do that really well. But in order to back up large servers cost-effectively, they unfortunately have no idea about. I don't know how they imagine keeping several terabytes of data on the backup server's storage for several weeks, or keeping several terabytes of free disk space on the backup server to restore tape backups if necessary. Two, three or four terabytes may still work, but certainly no longer with nine, ten or eleven.

For the long-term archiving of the smaller machines, I then also use Retrospect and simply back up the complete backup chain from Veeam to tape. This basically is almost the same as backing up to tape with Veeam itself, but it is recommended to only allow one application to access the tape library and tape drive.

That's what comes out of it, I just received the warning this morning:

"Backup location [E:\Veeam_Repositories] is getting low on free disk space (1,8 TB free of 21,9 TB)"

HTH & Bye Tom