Discussions specific to tape backups
sasilik
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

VM Tape job failed after ejecting magazine

Post by sasilik » Sep 18, 2019 9:07 am

We have tape library with 4 magazines and 3 drives. 2 drives are used to write backups and 3rd is available when there is need to restore something from tape. That case came yesterday and when magazines from right side were ejected and tapes put in and magazines back the library was offline for a while for a VEEAM and VEEAM cancelled the backups to tape processes which were waiting inside the Backups to tape job. Error message was:

Code: Select all

17.09.2019 15:26:31 :: Tape library assigned to media pool Week files does not contain any enabled tape drive  
17.09.2019 15:26:34 :: Job has been terminated Error: Tape library assigned to media pool Week files does not contain any enabled tape drive  
Two backups to tape processes which where in the middle of writing data to tape were not affected and finished their jobs successfully. I found some older threads and KB article which I am not sure address the issue really.
tape-f29/bug-insert-tape-fails-job-when ... 36034.html
tape-f29/collected-feature-requests-for ... 29239.html
tape-f29/tape-job-fails-if-tapes-in-cha ... 50622.html
https://www.veeam.com/kb1816

After job ended I removed the successfully completed vm backups from job and started job again. But is this expected behavior and you should not eject magazines from library when there is backup job running? It kind of makes having the third drive for restore purposes meaningless.

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 858 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VM Tape job failed after ejecting magazine

Post by Dima P. » Sep 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Hello Markko,

Its not recommended to eject the magazine while the backup job is running. Can you please clarify if you have I/E slots configured on your library? Thank you in advance!

sasilik
Enthusiast

Post by sasilik » Sep 19, 2019 6:49 am

Mailslots are disabled on library right now. I guess I should enable them and make use of them if removing entire magazine disturbs VEEAM tape jobs.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Sep 19, 2019 3:11 pm

That should work. If I remember correctly, removing entire magazine puts the tape library in the offline state which leads to the mentioned issues. Cheers!

sasilik
Enthusiast

Post by sasilik » Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm

It works but it makes procedure longer and more complicated. Instead of ejecting magazine, inserting tapes and putting magazine back person must eject mailsots, put tapes in it, import tapes in VEEAM and then go back and put rest of needed tapes and again import tapes. And I must write instructions for it to others. It is also little confusing for me why jobs which are waiting for tape resource to come available are aborted right away when library goes offline for a while. The ones which are processed don't even notice that and write their data without problem.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Sep 20, 2019 10:59 am 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the feedback, it makes sense. I've noted an improvement request based on your post and we will discuss it with the tape team. Cheers!