Add a Backup Copy Job in the SureBackup job

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Add a Backup Copy Job in the SureBackup job

Veeam Logoby jtupeck » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:07 pm

by Shestakov » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:45 pm 2 people like this post

Thank you for the feedback, dspjones!
Your feature request is taken into account.

Has ANY progress been made on this in recent years/versions? Was this really taken into account? I ask, because we have need to run older MS Exchange server restore points inside a vLab so we can pull data off it for discovery using Veeam B&R 9.5 U2, but I am unable to do anything but restore guest files from a Backup Copy Job restore point on this particular server. Sadly, it is an Exchange 2007 box and we cannot use the built in features of Exchange AIR modules and have to use the U-AIR...without the ability to spin up a restore point from a Backup Copy Job, we cant do anything but restore the VM, or VM Guest Files, attach them in the currently running MS Exchange server and then do it all the old fashioned way. Please re-add this request to your list of features that your user base wants, if possible.
jtupeck
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason Tupeck

Veeam Logoby bstilts » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:22 pm

I too am looking for a way to run a SureBackup against a copy job, for no other reason than I do not want the additional overhead of running the SureBackup script in our production environment. It would seem to make more sense to test the backups in our offsite location so that local production resources are not consumed and integrity of the backups at the off site location can be verified simultaneously. Thus, since offsite backups are supposed to be an exact duplicate of the production side, you can be assured that both sides are verified and complete without having to run the additional verification tasks on the production network.
bstilts
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Stilts

Veeam Logoby BChavetnoir » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Good Morning,

Let me introduce myself, we are hosting applications in Heathcare for several hospitals in our region.

Today, I'm still unable to say to my manager that all our hosted applications can be recoverable at yesterday night and be sure
that all applications should work after full recovery. it's critical for us.

We would use Surebackups to be sure that all our applications are recoverable correctly.

Could you please help me finding a solution in creating and managing Surebackups ?

We are using Veeam B&R Ent 9.5 U1 with a DataDomain DD2500 in Repository and creating Surebackups with DataDomain is a nightware.

I managed to duplicate several jobs into a non deduplicated storage for building Surebackups but not so easy to manage.

Now we have a secondary server (srv-bckbuffer) that has 13 To of storage (Windows server)
this server is a W12R2 with SAS drives no Fiber Channel cards for the moment if needed
only two NICs 1 Go to LAN network and another NIC 10 Go directly connected to DataDomain.

From Veeam server I have have a repository to store backup copy jobs in the 13 To of storage (\\srv-bckbuffer\VEEAM) using the 1 Go link.

we woud use backup copy jobs stored in (srv-bckbuffer server) in source of Surebackups jobs but it's not possible for the moment if I have well understood.

which king of repository we should use or configuration to be able to execute Surebackups with lastest backup data (no CIFS repository), is NFS is working and is it the solution ?

Did you managed to use backup copy jobs for source on Surebackups Application Groups ?

for you is it possible to get such configuration working to managing correctly Surebackups in our environment ?

Many Thanks for your help, advices and feedback.

Have a good day.

Bertrand Chavetnoir.
BChavetnoir
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Bertrand Chavetnoir

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Bertrand, the main issue is that you're using storage devices in the wrong sequence and against our recommended reference architecture. Primary backups should go to a faster raw storage, while dedupe appliance should be used as target for the secondary ones, this is the best practice. This way you would be able to run SureBackup jobs from the faster storage and be sure you're copying recoverable backups.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication