Add a Backup Copy Job in the SureBackup job

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Add a Backup Copy Job in the SureBackup job

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:23 pm

This command allows to add multiple restore points to AG, however using existing AG is not supported.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:58 pm

foggy wrote:This command allows to add multiple restore points to AG, however using existing AG is not supported.

What would be eth syntax then for adding two or more vms?

If I use Find-VBRViEntity -name "server1", "Server2"|add-VSBViApplicationGroup -name "TESTBRT"

then when I go to create the surebackup job the two servers tell me no backups found?
TheMonk
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Armitage

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 pm

As Foggy's mentioned, the given commandlet accepts array of restore points, so, you can try get an array of restore points first and then pass it to the commandlet:

Code: Select all
$RestorePoints = @((Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "Name of first VM" | sort creationtime | select -Last 1), (Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "Name of second VM" | sort creationtime | select -Last 1))
Add-VSBViApplicationGroup –Name “AG” –RestorePoint $RestorePoints

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Hmm this don't work as only adds the Second VM
TheMonk
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:38 am

Then, it means that first restore point has not been gotten. Can you just run this code and see the result?

Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "Name of first VM" | sort creationtime | select -Last 1

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:45 pm

I get a result back with that
TheMonk
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Can we switch the discussion to the corresponding PS subforum in order not to derail the existing discussion? Kindly, create additional topic describing the problem, and post your code there. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 pm

v.Eremin wrote:Can we switch the discussion to the corresponding PS subforum in order not to derail the existing discussion? Kindly, create additional topic describing the problem, and post your code there. Thanks.

My Code?? Im simply trying to use the same code already here, but having issues getting more than one copied VM into a Application group?

I can create different App groups all with different servers using the aforementioned scripts. But the moment I try to add more than one vm it wont do it? I thought this was part of the same thing as this group already?
TheMonk
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:39 pm

If we're going to investigate why provided code doesn't work for you, we'd better to that in the proper place in order not to derail the existing discussion with irrelevant PS troubleshooting step, etc.

Thank you for your understanding.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Run SUREBACKUP for Backup Copy Jobs

Veeam Logoby mdnovak » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:33 pm

When will we be able to run SUREBACKUP for Backup Copy Jobs?

We obviously can do this for regular backup jobs which I do nightly to verify that the backup is good and it will boot properly.

However, I only retain a limited number of primary backups while my backup copy jobs keep backups for a much longer period of time. Also, I use the backups from these BACKUP COPY jobs to copy offsite for long term protection.

Will V9 support SUREBACKUP for Backup Copy Jobs, and if not, when will this feature be added? Without SUREBACKUP, I have to manually test each backup from the BACKUP COPY jobs which is very time consuming and often forgotten.

Thanks

Martin
mdnovak
Lurker

Full Name: Martin Novak

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello Martin and welcome to the forums!

There's no need to perform recovery verification of copied backups, since backup copy job has built-in integrity check that ensures the copy is bit-identical to the source.

There is a workaround, which is not officially supported though.
Please review the thread for more info and ask additional questions if you have any.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby mdnovak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:43 pm

The problem in my environment is that on one particular day, my backup copy job failed with:

6/27/2015 9:10:46 PM :: Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Failed to open file [\\172.25.75.22\BackupV7X\Backup Copy for DailyC Inside_VM1_Colo\Backup Copy for DailyC Inside_VM1_Colo2015-06-26T203000.vib] in readonly mode.
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{4116d911-c2f9-486b-9122-88c48da5f5b2}]. CHMOD mask: [0].
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.

The next day, the backup copy job worked BUT the entire previous chain of backup copy's became unusable. If I could have run a surebackup job against the backup copy job, I would have known right away that there was a problem and not two weeks later when I actually had to restore a file from this backup copy job.

Thanks

Martin
mdnovak
Lurker

Full Name: Martin Novak

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Martin,
Have you tried to restore from the source backup file?
I would also suggest contacting technical support to investigate the reason of the error.
By the way, as I mentioned above there is a way to use Surebackup for backup copy.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby haslund » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 am

I understand it makes sense to verify backups before sending them offsite, done!
However once these backups are offsite it would be awesome if we could use them for On-Demand Sandboxes which are ALSO SureBackup jobs.

Maybe we can mess with some scripts, but that is not the right solution.

Please re-consider adding Backup Copy Jobs as the source for SureBacup jobs.
Rasmus Haslund
Principal Technologist, Global Education Services @ Veeam Software
Veeam Certified Architect #1 | Veeam Certified Trainer #4 [v7,v8,v9] | Veeam Certified Trainer Mentor #1
Twitter: @haslund
Blog: www.perfectcloud.org
haslund
Veeam Software

Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Veeam Logoby bg.ranken » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:24 pm

I also would like to have this feature added and would like to present a scenario for why.

Our environment is currently all offsite in our datacenter and we have storage level replication to our DR datacenter. In this scenario our DR has VMware hosts for spinning up server in the event of a full site failover. However until that happens we have VMware hosts literally doing nothing in that site. I would like to use them for SureBackup jobs so that our production hosts are not taxed. We use the same backup storage in both location (old NetApp cluster) so there's no loss of performance for the SureBackup jobs if they were to run on our DR hosts.

I understand why you would want to test your primary backups first before sending them offsite, but since SureBackups check to see if the backup is good there should be no reason you can't use it on the copy since ...

foggy wrote:...the copy is bit-identical to the source.

At most your would be one restore point behind if your backup copy jobs are set to run daily, and not even that if you are running SureBackups during the day after the copy is done, which would be doable since you're not hitting any production infrastructure at that point. The administrator would still be notified of the failure and you could design your logic to still perform the same functions it normally would in a failure state against the originating backup jobs.
bg.ranken
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication