Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sat May 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Evan, replication jobs is what can really help to perform such a migration.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] VM Replication - One time use

Veeam Logoby collinp » Wed May 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Is it possible to use Veeam VM Replication as a way to migrate VM's to a new Hyper-v cluster permanently for a one time replication? I don't want to setup a replication relationship between a primary source and destination. I want to do a one-time replication from a source to destination VM and then delete the source VM permanently. These are big 1TB VM's where Hyper-v zero shared migrations fail. I also don't want to risk doing a Veeam instant vm recovery due to performance implications of running from the slow backup storage during the migration.

Collin
collinp
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Collin P

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am

Yes, replication is the way to go in this case. Perform permanent failover after replication and once confirming that everything works properly, remove the source VM.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Migration of Exchange 2007 server

Veeam Logoby lukeup » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 am

Hello,

What is the best practice to migrate an Exchange\SQL server from one ESXi host to another?

The hosts are in different vCentres due to Essentials Licensing. So storage\vMotion is not an option.

If shutting down the VM is not a problem, should I do this and then Quick Migrate or just quick migrate the live VM?

Would it be best to back up and restore instead of using Quick Migrate?

The CPUs are not compatible between the hosts so the VM will shut down. Is this ok with Exchange\SQL server?

There are many options and I am not sure of the best way to achieve this.

Thank You
lukeup
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Luke

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 am

Luke, you can either use replication or Quick Migration to achieve what you're after. Please review the thread above for more details. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Replication Question

Veeam Logoby andy51585 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi,

I would like to leverage a replication job to move from one physical data center to another. I have currently a replica made on the target vCenter server. I was wondering what the best way is do a "final" replication. Is there a way to in near real time synchronize the last changes to the source VM, bring the destination online, and shut down the source. I was looking at the permanent failover option, but that appears to commit the delta of the target. Is it possible to commit a delta of the source?
andy51585
Novice

Full Name: Andrew

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Andrew, the best practice is to shut the source VM down, perform final replication of the latest changes, and then failover to the replica VM. This allows to avoid any data loss and provides minimum downtime.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Best way to copy VMs from one host to another

Veeam Logoby ssen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 am

I'm building out a new vSphere cluster that is separate from a standalone esxi 5.5 server we have. For licensing and configuration reasons I cannot add the standalone server to my new cluster. I've been playing with Veeam and I'm not sure whether I should use the backup feature or the replication feature to copy the VMs over. I understand "Quick Migration" is available BUT I need the source VMs to stay up and not turn on once it arrives on the new cluster. I want to copy the running VMs into the new cluster and eventually do a failover when we're ready. I can't run a Quick Migration because the network settings on the new cluster can't accommodate the IPs of the VMs on the standalone server.

My question is, should I be using backup or replication? I dont want any dependencies to the standalone server or Veeam once I migrate everything off.
ssen
Lurker

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:16 am

Hi, take a look at the approach described by Foggy; should do the trick for you. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby emilec » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:15 pm

I have some Linux servers running PostgreSQL that I want to move to a new location.

If I wanted to get the databases over in a consistent state could I run a replication job while the servers are on to get the bulk of the data over and then shut them down for a final replication? Would my databases be consistent or should the VMs or PostgreSQL service be off from the start?
emilec
Enthusiast

Liked: 21 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm

To get transaction consistency, you can enable VMware Tools Quiescence in the replication job. But it is a good practice to shut the VM down before replicating the final changes to avoid any data loss.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : using veeam for migrating from ESXi 4.1 to ESX 5.

Veeam Logoby coolgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 am

Hi..am planning to migrate from ESXi 4.1 to 5.5 not by upgrading the existing ESXi 4.1 but replicating the PROD VMs on ESXi to another ESXi running version 5.5.

please advise me on this.

Also advise me on the stability of ESXi 4.1 and #ESXi 5.5. Should I stay with #ESXi 4.1 ?
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill
coolgod
Enthusiast

Full Name: Vicky | techvicky.com

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 am

Your post has been merged into existing discussion regarding similar matter. Kindly, check the answers provided above. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby emilec » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 pm

foggy wrote:To get transaction consistency, you can enable VMware Tools Quiescence in the replication job. But it is a good practice to shut the VM down before replicating the final changes to avoid any data loss.

So my plan should work then:
1) Replicate running VMs until all the data is at the remote side.
2) Shut down the VMs and run replication again.
emilec
Enthusiast

Liked: 21 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes, should work.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication