Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Veeam Logoby priusit » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:17 pm 1 person likes this post

I am considering on using Veeam Backup & replication to migrate a datacenter to a new location. Has anybody done this before and what are the steps that I have to take?

What issues and pitfalls are there?

I hope that somebody can help me on this
priusit
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cor Meurs

Re: Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Cor,

You can either use replication or Quick Migration jobs to do that. Please review our Evaluator's Guide for more info.

As to possible tips and tricks for VM migration process, then it would help if we could know a bit more on your environment ;)

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1092 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi Cor,
I did it. Last was for a customer moving all his racks in a datacenter, 300km away, and we used replication jobs. Issues and pitfalls are not related to Veeam but more in general to network setup, here are some points you need to check/consider:
- networking MUST be completely correct, routing and dns above all
- if you are going to connect via L3, check with some replica jobs re-ip of VMs is working
- if you can, use replica seeding to save much time and bandwidth, our migration was 4Tb of VMDK disks...
- if you are going to keep both sites in active state, prepare a list of VMs based on priority to be moved, dependencies between VMs and such

But most important of all, be sure you can do failback if something is not working.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1311 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

[MERGED] Moving to entirely new infrastructure

Veeam Logoby scooke » Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 am

Hi guys, I figure this is the place I'll get the best answer for this question.

I am about to receive and entirely new infrastructure, New hosts, new SAN, new vCentre Server (VMware Essentials Plus 5.1)
My old environment is VMware Enterprise 4.0

What is the best way to move the VMs from the old infrastructure to the new one with the least downtime?

I would say a replication job in Veeam B+R but as far as I've tried, the VMs all go into a Veeam folder on the SAN, IE "Datastore1\Veeam\Server1", and I'd rather have it as "Datastore1\Server1" on the datastore.

I know I can just power off the server and do a fastSCP but that will be significant downtime.
I also thought of bringing the SAN and hosts into the old environment and doing a Storage and host migrate, but the new SAN is SAS and the old one is iSCSI, and also I don't have licenses for more hosts in the old environment.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve
scooke
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Cooke

Veeam Logoby kjc3303 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Steve you can use Quick Migration, See below for description

You should also be able to achieve Datastore1\Server1 I have in my environment and don't remember having to do anything unusual?

Cheers

Kev

Veeam Quick Migration enables you to promptly migrate one or more VMs between ESX(i) hosts and datastores. Veeam Backup & Replication allows migration of VMs in any state with minimum disruption to business operations and end user access to services. You can use Quick Migration as a self‑contained capability, solely for VM migration, or combine it with Instant VM Recovery.

Veeam Backup & Replication analyzes your virtual environment, its configuration, the state of VMs and selects the most appropriate relocation method. Whenever possible, Veeam Backup & Replicationcoordinates its operations with vCenter Server and uses native VMware vCenter migration mechanisms: vMotion and Storage vMotion. When VMware vCenter migration methods cannot be used (for example, if your VMware vSphere license does not provide support for vMotion and Storage vMotion, or you need to migrate VMs from one standalone ESX(i) host to another), Veeam Backup & Replication uses its proprietary SmartSwitch technology to relocate VMs.

Veeam Quick Migration provides means for fast background migration of VMs ensuring continuous uptime of your virtual environment. Quick Migration supports hot VM migration (with SmartSwitch) and cold VM migration (with cold switch).

Migration of a VM is performed in several stages:

1.Veeam Backup & Replication copies VM configuration (.vmx) to the target host and registers the VM.

2.Veeam Backup & Replication triggers a VM snapshot and copies VM disk content to the new destination.

3.VM state and changes made after snapshot creation are moved to a new location. Veeam Backup & Replication uses different approaches to move the VM state between hosts with compatible and non‑compatible CPUs.

•If you move a VM between two hosts with compatible CPUs, Veeam Backup & Replication uses SmartSwitch (that is, it suspends a VM to move its state file and changes made after snapshot creation). The VM is then resumed on the new host. This ensures minimum downtime, and completely eliminates any data loss during migration.

•If you move a VM between two hosts with non‑compatible CPUs, Veeam Backup & Replication stops the VM to move changes made after snapshot creation, and then starts the VM on the new host.

Integration with Instant VM Recovery

When you restore a VM using Instant VM Recovery, Veeam Backup & Replication starts the VM directly from a compressed and deduplicated backup file. To finalize recovery of a VM, you still need to move it to a new location. Moving the VM with VMware Storage vMotion or hot replication may require a lot of time and resources, or it may cause loss of valuable data.

Veeam Quick Migration was designed to complement Instant VM Recovery. Instead of pulling data from vPower NFS datastore, Quick Migration registers the VM on the target host, restores the VM contents from the backup file located in the backup repository and synchronizes the VM restored from backup with the running VM.
kjc3303
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: [MERGED] Moving to entirely new infrastructure

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 pm

scooke wrote:Hi guys, I figure this is the place I'll get the best answer for this question.

Indeed!

scooke wrote:I would say a replication job in Veeam B+R but as far as I've tried, the VMs all go into a Veeam folder on the SAN, IE "Datastore1\Veeam\Server1", and I'd rather have it as "Datastore1\Server1" on the datastore.

Please review the answers given above, should help in your scenario. As for the target folder for replicated VMs, then you can configure it in the replication job settings and specify the required one.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1064 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby scooke » Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm

OK awesome, I didn't even know Quick Migration existed!

Thanks for the info guys, I will give it a go once I get the new kit and configure it!
scooke
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Cooke

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Should any issues arise during setting up the migration process, feel free to ask here.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1064 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Moving server between sites

Veeam Logoby jmerfeld » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:12 pm

I am trying to figure out a way to accomplish project I am going to work on.

We are going to have a remote site that is going to have terminal server for about 25 remote users to work on. We also have a terminal server at another location (hq site)where veeam sits. What my plan is.. Is to be able to patch the terminal server at the hq site and then send the server up to the remote site and use that after renaming re-ip etc and the remote site users can use that server.

My issue is how to get the server to the remote site the quickest. And easiest. I am unsure if a replication would be the best idea.. Or what.

There is a 20mb pipe between the two sites if that matters

Help?
jmerfeld
Influencer

Full Name: James Merfeld

Re: Moving server between sites

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi James,

Yes, replication job is the way to go in this case. Install two proxy servers on both ends to send compressed VM data across the WAN link and run the replication job.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jmerfeld » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Is it safe to delete the active snap on the other end when I power it up? What is going to be my issues with deleting the snap? Ot consolidating it.
jmerfeld
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm 1 person likes this post

Yes, it is safe. When you plan to failover make sure you choose permanent failover option in the backup console to remove replica VM records from the console.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:16 pm

And to further assure James, I did a similar task for a customer, we used Veeam replicas to move an entire vSphere cluster in another datacenter 400 kms aways, we had 150 server VMs in there and got really no problem at all. We used permanent failover for each VM.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jmerfeld » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:03 pm 1 person likes this post

I guess what we are after is being able to have a copy of a terminal server at site a, make changes to that machine, power off, replicate to site b, consolidate the snap and then power it back on and let users work from it at that site b (Thin Clients).

Does that make sense?
jmerfeld
Influencer

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm 2 people like this post

Absolutely.
Is the same activites we did. Veeam replicas let you raiterate the same replica job again and again. You can start with a first replica (maybe also using seeding options), then replicate again to keep the failover VM in sync with the primary, and at the end do a final replica using failover command.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Next