What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby skrause » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 pm

syl81 wrote:Is it possible with the same license to have the Veeam Backup server in SiteA, and a second Veeam server acting as the Replication server in SiteB so that it is immediately available in case of a SiteA disaster to orchestrate the startup of replicated SiteA's VMs in SiteB ?

This is how we are set up and it works well (using enterprise manager to manage licenses as foggy mentioned.) An added bonus: since our B&R management/console servers are virtual, we have them back each other up :)
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
skrause
Expert

Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Veeam Logoby syl81 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 am

Tnahks foggy and skrause for this quick reply.
I helps in managing a quick disaster in fact, and having the second one backing up the first one is a very nice bonus, for sure !
syl81
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Sylvain ARNAUD

[MERGED] Disaster Recovery Plan

Veeam Logoby ndearing » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:04 am

Hi everyone. I am writing a new IT disaster recovery plan for my organization and wanted some opinions.

My question: What is the quickest way to restore Veeam B&R so that you can quickly start restoring backups in the event of a major disaster?

I have a dedicated physical backup server that hosts my tape drives, and internal RAID0 array for daily backups. This is great for quick recovery of a failed VM or files restores that don't involve a major disaster.

However, in the event of a major disaster, with damaged servers and hardware, what solutions do you use to restore Veeam B&R as quickly as possible to begin restoring VM's? I am planning to have servers running VMWare ESXI at my emergency location so once I have Veeam restored, I will be able to quickly migrate the VM's. Even if I virtualized my Veeam Backup server, it would still require Veeam to recover the VM data.

Just curious how others plan for this crucial part of recovery planning.
ndearing
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nick Dearing

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Nick, this thread discusses different approaches to protecting Veeam B&R backup server, among which using the built-in configuration backup is the most recommended one.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] Disaster Recovery Plan

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm 1 person likes this post

ndearing wrote:Even if I virtualized my Veeam Backup server, it would still require Veeam to recover the VM data.

I would recommend to copy the "Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe" and the "Extract.exe" ("extract" file with no extension for non-Windows-OS) to an external storage. You need them to restore the files of one or more VMs from a VBK file. After restoring the files you can upload them to your host, re-register the VMs and start them up.

You could, for example, restore your VBR-server and then start an Instant VM recovery.

Also keep in mind to save these files on a tape, if you use them for very long time archiving to be able to restore VMs after several years.
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby SteveKratz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:31 pm 1 person likes this post

I'm using Veeam Endpoint to back up the physical B&R server's system drive to a rotating set of USB drives All of the actual backup data is on a completely separate drive array on the same machine - Other backup data is off-site on tape.
SteveKratz
Novice

Full Name: Steve Kratz

Re: [MERGED] Disaster Recovery Plan

Veeam Logoby ndearing » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Wow, that's great information to have. I was not aware of this. Just to clarify, with these files on a Windows 8 or 10 machine, you can extract raw VM files from Veeam backup files without Veeam B & R being installed?

Thank you for the useful info!

hoFFy wrote:I would recommend to copy the "Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe" and the "Extract.exe" ("extract" file with no extension for non-Windows-OS) to an external storage. You need them to restore the files of one or more VMs from a VBK file. After restoring the files you can upload them to your host, re-register the VMs and start them up.

You could, for example, restore your VBR-server and then start an Instant VM recovery.

Also keep in mind to save these files on a tape, if you use them for very long time archiving to be able to restore VMs after several years.
ndearing
Novice

Full Name: Nick Dearing

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:31 pm

That is correct, but from full backups only.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2409 times

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 am

Gostev wrote:That is correct, but from full backups only.

Yes, therefore I wrote "from a VBK file". :lol:
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

[MERGED]: backup physical Veeam server

Veeam Logoby AlexK977 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:08 am

Hi all,

i have a little question to you all.

We use a physical server for our Veeam Environment.
On top of that, we use the local MSSQL Server to hosts more DBs, not just the Veeam/VeeamOne/Enterprise Manager one.

Is there a way you would backup the whole machine itself ?
Does anyone use the Veeam Endpoint backup to backup the server itself through Veeam ?

thanks in advance
AlexK977
Novice

Re: backup physical Veeam server

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:55 am

Hi,
Yes, you can backup the physical machine with Veeam Endpoint or you can use configuration backup inside VBR to protect all the settings.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

[MERGED] Do you backup your Veeam virtual machine ?

Veeam Logoby omg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:03 pm

We use Veeam B&R 9.0. Currently it is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Virtual Machine.

Just wondering if all the veeam users here backup their Veeam PC or just backup the configuration only.

Is it good or bad to backup the Veeam machine use Veeam software ?
omg
Enthusiast

Full Name: V

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Backing up Veeam B&R configuration is typically enough.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby tholyoak » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 pm

I want to backup my VM that has Veeam on it. I was thinking of using the Free Edition on another server to do so, since I have passthrough PCI cards on the Veeam machine (for connecting storage), and will have to turn it off to do the backup.

Or would the Endpoint Backup running on the Veeam server be a better way to do it? Does it do a complete backup that would include the PCI configuration within the VM?
tholyoak
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am

Does it do a complete backup that would include the PCI configuration within the VM?

Such disks would be visible inside the guest, thus, EP should back them up smoothly. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication