What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby stijn_multiplies » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:48 am

I have done just that. Hopefully the day will never come that i will need this but better safe then sorry!

Thank you!
stijn_multiplies
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Stijn De Clercq

[MERGED] How to backup Veeam itself?

Veeam Logoby fja » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm

During last 18 months we had complete loss of data on both our primary and secondary backupserver (luckily not at the same time...).

Having complete 'of-media' archives as well the panic was limited.. One issue though: how do we ensure ability to recover historical catalogue of tape content (and secondary archive server / repositories)?
We have of course done import from remote repositories as well af cataloguing tapes - but this does not all result in full content for item level restore (..not tested in details)

To be better prepared for similar situations in future we have added backup of 'configuration backup reporitory' to our monthly GFS tape jobs - but what and how to include full indeks information for quick recovery of detailed seearch access??
We have EM running on dedicated (virtual) server - and total of 5 BU servers on different sites. All BU servers copy config backup to central reporitory included in GFS job as mentioned.

Suggestions?
fja
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm

You should be either using built-in configuration catalog backup capabilities, or VEB to protect the entire Veeam B&R server. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 1046 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby fja » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:02 am

Hi Vitaly,
thx for pointing me the right way... Missed this in my search.

Just to clarify - do I understand correct that the current 'configuration backup' already includes the full indexing information used for file level restore?? Hope that is right, as this is the 'easy' setup ;-)

Based on: 'Understanding Veeam Backup Catalog' it seems to be different types of information than configuration of VBR server and jobs / job history..

If it is NOT the same, then I'm not aware of 'veeam configuration catalog backup capabilities'... Where to find information?? I did not find the answer in old thread.

BR Frank
fja
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi Frank,

Sorry for being a bit vague on the catalog backup question. If you want to preserve all indexing data, then you need to adjust the retention policy in the EM and then protect this folder manually (for example, with VEB). As regards, the built-in configuration backup, then it should preserve tape data and all the data that is currently present in the backup console.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 1046 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] backing up the Veeam machine

Veeam Logoby Perry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Does it make sense to have the backup machine with Veeam installed be a VM machine itself and can it be used to back itself up? Any special considerations?
Perry
Enthusiast

Full Name: Perry

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Does it make sense to have the backup machine with Veeam installed be a VM machine itself

Yes, it does. At the very least a server configuration must be protected.

can it be used to back itself up?

Yes, it can.

Any special considerations?

Kindly, check posts provided above.
v.Eremin
Product Manager

Liked: 892 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Perry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:44 am

Works for me too. I have the Veeam backup server running in a VM. I ran the backup job from this VM that backs up itself with application-aware processing enabled.
Perry
Enthusiast

Full Name: Perry

[MERGED] Feature Request: DR VBR server

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Not sure if this has been bought up before, but i'll ask anyway.

Like many we use a physical VBR master server at Site A, that sends copy jobs and reps to Site B. It would be great if there was a synchronously replicated instance of this server available at Site B for firing up reps and restoring those copy jobs in the event Site A burns. Kind of like the portal that's available using Cloud Connect to restore your VMs, but an on-prem version.

At the moment, I understand its advised to create a 2nd VBR server for the offsite reps, doing it this way seems messy and we'd all like everything under one pane of glass.

Our commvault servers have this, it just uses SQL mirroring to the DR comcell vm, nothing too complicated so I don't see why VBR cant also do the same thing.

Thanks
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Mark

Re: Feature Request: DR VBR server

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Mark,

Please review this thread for different approaches on the protection of the Veeam B&R server.

It is recommended to have Veeam B&R instance responsible for replication jobs in the target site.
You will find replication related information in details here.

Also, you can use the Enterprise Manager as a single pane of glass.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication