What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby MikeK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for the responses :D We do indeed save the configuration backup to a repository located at our DR site. This definitely works and provides a copy at our remote site. The option to save it to a network share IMO would be a nice to have in the future.

I've SVMd the VBR server to a replicated datastore and plan to use SRM. We do regular DR testing where we failover critical servers to our DR site and test various applications. The goal is to incorporate the VBR server into our existing playbook and ensure we can actually perform restores during a DR test. Veeam replication would certainly accomplish this as well but introduces another orchestration layer outside of what we do for the majority of our production infrastructure. The configuration backup will, of course, provide an additional layer of protection. Theoretically there shouldn't be any issues with this but I will not know until our next DR test.

Thanks again! Happy New Year.
MikeK
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Kee

[MERGED] backing up the veeam server itself

Veeam Logoby NetAdMBC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 pm

I have a VM on which Veeam B&R9.5 is installed. I used to have in on a physical machine and would back it up with Windows Server Backup. Now that it's on a VM, is there any problem with using Veeam to back itself up? I would think it would work, but I just want to be sure I don't end up with something like the scene in Being John Malkovich in which Malkovich enters the portal into is own head....
NetAdMBC
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm

No issues with such scenario. Additionally, I'd recommend creating a tiny share on physical machine, adding it as repository to a backup console and pointing configuration backup to it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby ProdEng » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi,
We have Veeam Backup and Replication Availabilty 9.5 installed on a Phsical server backing up several VMs on a seperate host.
As it does not seem possible to use B&R to backup the physical backup server I am wondering if it is possible to install and use the Free Veeam agent for Windows 2.1 on the B&R box to backup the backup server?
Many thanks for any help.
ProdEng
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason R

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Jason and welcome to the community!

The recommended approach is using native configuration backup, thus in case of disaster you can reinstall the product and restore configuration.
However, you can use Veeam Agent for Windows to protect physical server and create recovery media. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

[MERGED] failed Veeam B&R server, how to recover from backup

Veeam Logoby govi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Veeam Experts,

I have installed Veeam B&R on one of VM Machine and backup is stored on NAS (Backup Repository). Was just wondering if this particular Veeam B&R VM fails then how we can restore the Veeam B&R VM from backup since we don't have access to console. I don't have replication server as of now and may be in feature we will consider it.

Do you have any workaround for this kind of scenario?

Thanks,
Govi
govi
Influencer

Full Name: Govinda Naik

Veeam Logoby chjones » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:09 am

Hi Govi,

In this instance, you could use the VBK Extract Utility (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) and use that to open the VBK file and extract your Veeam Server, then upload it into a datastore, register the VM, and power it on. A good tip is to grab a copy of the Extract Utility out of the Veeam Backup folder and place a copy (or a couple of copies) in separate locations so you have access to it in a disaster.

I'd suggest protecting the Veeam Server in its own backup job to keep that VBK file as small as possible so there is less for the extract utility to process.

You could also use Veeam to protect itself with by creating a replica of itself, with a Veeam Replication Job, onto another ESXi server and storage system.
chjones
Enthusiast

Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Veeam Logoby reaperhammer » Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi All,

We have a PROD Veeam server (physical & uses SAN snaps) and a standby DR Veeam Server in a DR site (VM). We use Rental License type. We use a stretched LAN. We have VCenter high availability so all Vmware DataCenters are under 1 vCenter. We backup many VM's in PROD and we want to replicate some to DR.
Setting up replication jobs now and I have thought of 2 options:
1. Have replication jobs run in PROD Veeam server. If failover is required, restore Config backup of PROD Veeam server to DR Veeam server and start failover plans.
Pros, Only one license required (or can we use the same rental license in DR to replicate VM's licensed in PROD??), Only one server is controlling the proxy and repository services on the PROD Veeam server.
Cons, Another manual step is required at failover time.
2. Have Replication jobs running from DR Veeam server all the time and just start failover from there.
Pros, Failover can be done almost immediately.
Cons, 2 "Brains and one body" for Veeam proxy and Veeam Repository services running on the PROD Veeam server - or another proxy server in PROD is required, also the possibility of backup jobs running at the same time as replication jobs and causing failure of either. Additional Veeam licensing required (or not - Can someone answer this?)

I personally prefer Option 1 :)
reaperhammer
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Will S

Veeam Logoby skrause » Wed May 09, 2018 12:50 pm

From a licensing standpoint Veeam doesn't care how many Veeam servers you run, just how many objects (either host sockets or VMs depending on licensing model) are being backed up/replicated.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
skrause
Expert

Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm

skrause wrote:From a licensing standpoint Veeam doesn't care how many Veeam servers you run...

I really like that about Veeam.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 pm

reaperhammer wrote:I personally prefer Option 1 :)

Yes, it's completely a matter your preference, select approach that is more acceptable in your environment. Licensing question is out of scope here, as mentioned above.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1296 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby reaperhammer » Mon May 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks for that information, can you confirm this still applies when using the rental license type with automatic license reporting enabled? I was worried that if PROD Veeam server reports we need 100VM's license then DR server reports we only need 50VM's the Veeam license server will only know the last number that was reported, if that happened to be DR, that would be a big problem for PROD.
reaperhammer
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Will S

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Veeam license server will know the total number of protected VMs, so you should be fine with the rental license. Anyway, only actually protected VMs are reported.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1296 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication