What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby MikeK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for the responses :D We do indeed save the configuration backup to a repository located at our DR site. This definitely works and provides a copy at our remote site. The option to save it to a network share IMO would be a nice to have in the future.

I've SVMd the VBR server to a replicated datastore and plan to use SRM. We do regular DR testing where we failover critical servers to our DR site and test various applications. The goal is to incorporate the VBR server into our existing playbook and ensure we can actually perform restores during a DR test. Veeam replication would certainly accomplish this as well but introduces another orchestration layer outside of what we do for the majority of our production infrastructure. The configuration backup will, of course, provide an additional layer of protection. Theoretically there shouldn't be any issues with this but I will not know until our next DR test.

Thanks again! Happy New Year.
MikeK
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Kee

[MERGED] backing up the veeam server itself

Veeam Logoby NetAdMBC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 pm

I have a VM on which Veeam B&R9.5 is installed. I used to have in on a physical machine and would back it up with Windows Server Backup. Now that it's on a VM, is there any problem with using Veeam to back itself up? I would think it would work, but I just want to be sure I don't end up with something like the scene in Being John Malkovich in which Malkovich enters the portal into is own head....
NetAdMBC
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup serv

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm

No issues with such scenario. Additionally, I'd recommend creating a tiny share on physical machine, adding it as repository to a backup console and pointing configuration backup to it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1051 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication