VM moved to new vCenter

VMware specific discussions

Re: VM moved to new vCenter

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 10, 2017 1:52 pm 1 person likes this post

Yes, for those jobs that haven't run after that yet. For those that already triggered, please wait for them to complete. I'd recommend to ask for support assistance with the migration tool.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby joebranca » Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 pm

We are planning to ferry groups of VMs over from our 5.5 environments to a new 6.5 environment over the course of the next month or so. Without understanding what's involved with either option:

Does the migration tool only make sense to apply if all VMs are being migrated in one shot, or does it help throughout the staggered migration process?

Would it be better to get assistance with how to do manual changes in the db for each batch of VMs that get migrated?

Or just bite the bullet and re-add the migrated VMs for new full backups, and document for self service end users the roundabout methods that must be done for restores from the older 6 weeks of restore points when they are needed?
joebranca
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Joe, you can plan to migrate in stages and use the tool at each stage for the corresponding VMs. I recommend to at least get assistance for the first time to get acquainted with the process so that you could use it yourself further.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby joebranca » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks foggy. I have opened a case with support to walk through for migrating one of the proxy VMs which I have put in a Veeam backup job to test this out.

The documentation tripped me up when it says in the Considerations and Limitations section "Old vCenter should not be used by Veeam Backup & Replication any more after migration." This sounds like a global limitation once the utilty is used for any VM migrations, even though we would need to continue backing up VMs in the old vcenter that have yet to be migrated. Does that actually mean old vcenter should not be used for any VM objects in a particular back job once migrated VMs have been re-added to that job? I'll also ask support for clarification.

joe
joebranca
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Yep, better ask your support engineer, since I'm not well-informed about this utility specifics.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby joebranca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 pm

A test migration and run of the script was successful; however a question came to my mind after the support case was closed.

The support person mentioned that multiple runs of the script may lower success rate for migrated VMs. For migrated VMs that don't work properly with the script, obviously self service FLR operations will not work for the older pre-migration backups. What would be the best approach, if any, for getting files restored from pre-migration backups on to the migrated VMs? Will users with appropriately configured roles be able to "Download" files locally from the pre-migrated backup chains? I'm wondering how to forewarn users what needs to be done for FLR from pre-migration restore points if the script didn't work for their VM.
joebranca
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:41 pm

I believe only restore to original location will not work for such backups.
foggy
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere