Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Lyonel
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lyonel

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Post by Lyonel »

I hope for this release that physicals servers can be merge in a unique vbk vib to reduce the size consumed in the repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Lyonel,

No deduplication between VAW backups won’t be supported since VAW still has one backup file per backup job. However, you can use all the benefits of Windows Server deduplication feature.
frisked
Novice
Full Name: Daniel Friske

Post by frisked »

Anyone know if there is an updated release date for this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Daniel, we do not share the exact release dates. However, you can sign up for the public beta to be among the first to play with the new version. Thanks.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: MCU Networking

Post by MCU_Networking »

We have a use case we are hoping Agent for Windows will fix. Well at least one that is prudent, we have multiple but this is the one management wants something fierce. It is a physical file server. Management wants monthly backups of a year's worth of only certain files. We use Endpoint Free right now on it and obviously you can only have 1 backup scheduled. What we currently do is the incremental backup method daily with 101 days worth. What we need to add is a monthly backup on the 1st of the month that backs up only the [.pdf], [.doc*] and [.xls*] files on the D: drive.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Michael,

The server version of VAW 2.0 will be able to do exactly what you want if you save your files on a B&R repository. This edition will have different scheduling methods, and in combination with a GFS backup copy job (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) you will be able to do what you want. Soon there will be a beta version of VAW that will allow you to play with this type of setup (No, I can't give you a date ;-))

Thanks
Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,

Just to make sure we are on the same page. Upcoming version wont have multiple backup jobs (the existing design remains the same – single job per installation), however upcoming server edition, indeed, will have a monthly scheduling option and periodic active full functionality. This could help you to achieve your goal.
Skyview
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Post by Skyview »

So Dima, this sounds a little conflicting to what I was understanding about the server version. Will the server version have the ability to have multiple jobs with different selection lists?

For example, I want a job that backs up everything on the C: drive, then a different job that backs up all .pdf files on the D: drive.

We have a huge use case for multiple jobs with different selection lists per job. Somewhere on the order of 30 servers, 150TB.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, multiple jobs in VAW will not be available in version 2.0
Skyview
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Post by Skyview » 1 person likes this post

That's really a shame. Such an opportunity lost. I don't think you will have much uptake, or much respect, if you charge money for and call your product "enterprise physical server backup" when you can't even do more than 1 job. It's just such a glaringly obvious flag of a product that isn't mature, which I guess is the true case anyways for a first release.

I'm not making fun, I'm just.....very disappointed. I'm a gigantic Veeam fanboy, but I'm going to be forced to use something else on a massive scale. Sigh.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Skyview,

Thanks for sharing. We recognize the high demand in multiple backup jobs feature and we plan to add it in one of the next major versions.
cthorpe
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris Thorpe

Post by cthorpe »

Hi Dima - so based on your conversation with Skyview, does this mean VAW v2 (server edition) will not support backup copy jobs??

We have a large number of ShadowProtect installations that we want to urgently migrate to VAW, but if we cannot save both locally (and NOT to a B&R repository) and to Cloud Connect then this is a serious lack of capability.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

VAW 2.0 will have a single job (as VEB 1.5) with the following backup targets supported:

- Direct backup to Veeam Cloud Connect
- Backup to Veeam repository
- Shared folder destination
- Local destination

Backup copy job (and backup to tape) can be used inside the VBR console to copy the agent backup files between repositories.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking » 1 person likes this post

There has to be something we can do. Will it be possible to have Endpoint and Agent installed at the same time in order to run multiple jobs?

All I am wanting to do is separately backup a few files outside of a chain. I feel the exact way as Skyview. I am not sure how a company as awesome as yours can not do something so simple. You are forcing me to look at other products for something so simple and forcing to run a 2nd backup software program on the same server to accomplish what I want, specifically another vendors product.
cthorpe
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris Thorpe

Post by cthorpe »

Agree with MCU ... there must be something Veeam can do here!

As a VCSP, we have a large number of customer environments where a on-prem VBR server can simply not be justified. Without the ability to save both locally and to Cloud Connect from VAW, there is no point in us looking at VAW. This has been promised by Veeam for a LONG time ... why the sudden change ??
thomas321
Influencer
Full Name: T

Post by thomas321 »

Can either the agent for Windows 2.0 and/or endpoint protection 2.0 finally be used for backing up CIFS/mapped drives with dedupe and incrementals?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Thomas,

Back up of external drives/CIFS shares will not be supported in the upcoming version of VAW.

Thanks.
thomas321
Influencer
Full Name: T

Post by thomas321 »

Ok, but are you working on it to get this working soon?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is planned, but we cannot share any ETA.
dwooning
Lurker
Full Name: Don Wooning

Post by dwooning »

Will Windows 2008 (non R2) be supported by Veeam Agent, if not, will it be supported in a next release.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Don, as far as I know support for Windows Server 2008 (non R2) is not planned.
Will Coady
Service Provider
Full Name: Will Coady

Post by Will Coady »

Has a public beta been released yet?

The release notes for Veeam 9.5 Update 1 state "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 Public Beta (build 2.0.0.594) support."
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

Regarding Server 2012 R2 deduplication - has Veeam Agent 2.0 finally added support for this request?
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/feature-req ... 33017.html
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Has a public beta been released yet?
Literary around the corner. Stay tuned :wink:

Anguel,
Yes.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking »

"Literary around the corner. Stay tuned :wink:"

Booooo *fart noise*
Corners take seconds to turn, this is taking ages. Stop teasing us it's insulting.

Side comment, please also clarify if the "SERVER" edition aka the paid edition will have multiple job support. Confusion on my side because the same tech made a single comment that with upcoming VAW multiple jobs will not be supported, as in they jumbled all version in one statement, but then later said "server" version will indeed have multiple jobs support. Also will the server version be avaiable with this public BETA or just the free version?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Side comment, please also clarify if the "SERVER" edition aka the paid edition will have multiple job support.
VAW 2.0 won’t have multiple jobs.
Also will the server version be avaiable with this public BETA or just the free version?
Beta has fully functional 50 workstations / 20 servers license included. Not teasing, just saying.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking »

Timeline:
I asked Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 pm, whether the Agent for Windows will support 2 jobs. I did not specify which ones, free vs. server edition because I did not know there was a difference yet.
Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 am: Mike Resseler from "Veeam Software" said "The server version of VAW 2.0 will be able to do exactly what you want if you save your files on a B&R repository." So yes.
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm: Dima P. said "Upcoming version wont have multiple backup jobs...however upcoming server edition, indeed, will have a monthly scheduling option and periodic active full functionality." Confusion starts.
Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm: Vitaliy S. said "No, multiple jobs in VAW will not be available in version 2.0." Sounds like a firm no.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:16 pm: Dima P. said VAW 2.0 will have a single job". Sounds like no, although it paints with a broad brush on all versions of VAW 2.0.
Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:24 pm : Dima P. said "VAW 2.0 won’t have multiple jobs.". Sounds like a firm no, but again the broad brush.

So based on above the only thing I can determine is that you are saying that no version/edition of Veeam Agent for Windows will have multiple job capability, literally including Server Edition/Version?
If the server version won't even allow multiple jobs and I can already run backup copy jobs with Endpoint backups(B&R existence implied), what is the benfit of the server version?
I don't care about how many licenses it comes with, again you paint your statement with a broad brush by just saying VAW 2.0 and not whether you mean the free or server version. I literally want to talk only about the server version/paid version, and whether in the future and also now, can run multiple jobs? Also with the BETA will there be any distinguishable features for a free version vs.Server Paid for version? I would rather BETA something I will end up using(The Paid for Server version because it has more features hopefully).
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The server edition adds support for application aware processing. Something we won't add in free & workstation edition.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

VAW 2.0 comes in three editions (Free/Workstation/Server) with different set of features. The set of features is defined by license file added to the product.

- Free. Does not require license
- Workstation. Requires license
- Server. Requires license

VAW without license file allows to use a Free edition. VAW with license installed (license is going to be included into Beta distribution) allows to switch VAW between Workstation or Server edition.
no version/edition of Veeam Agent for Windows will have multiple job capability, literally including Server Edition/Version?
Correct. All editions have a single backup job in v2.

You can take a look at the detailed edition comparison from feature perspective here (requires registration). Check the recording of ‘Veeam Agents for Microsoft Windows and Linux Summary’ breakout. Feature description and comparison starts at 5:59.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking »

I previously posted the following use case:
We have a use case we are hoping Agent for Windows will fix. Well at least one that is prudent, we have multiple but this is the one management wants something fierce. It is a physical file server. Management wants monthly backups of a year's worth of only certain files. We use Endpoint Free right now on it and obviously you can only have 1 backup scheduled. What we currently do is the incremental backup method daily with 101 days worth. What we need to add is a monthly backup on the 1st of the month that backs up only the [.pdf], [.doc*] and [.xls*] files on the D: drive.

Then Mike Resseler posted the following:
Michael,

The server version of VAW 2.0 will be able to do exactly what you want if you save your files on a B&R repository. This edition will have different scheduling methods, and in combination with a GFS backup copy job (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) you will be able to do what you want. Soon there will be a beta version of VAW that will allow you to play with this type of setup (No, I can't give you a date ;-))

I don't see how my use case will be met unless I have 2 separate jobs. So am I missing something? I don't see how GFS will help me or how that is different than the current options now even if it did work. I want to backup the whole server image with forever incrementals like I am doing now, but also back up specific files monthly to keep for a year, I only keep 90 days worth of the main back ups, without having to rig something weird up.

Will I be able to control backup jobs with VAW server edition using powershell? If so would it mess up the chain of incrementals for the main job if on the 1st of the month I scripted switching the job selection to the specific files I wanted, run the backup for those specific files and then switch the job back to what it was(forever incremental daily)? For that matter, on the current Endpoint Backup could I manually change the job selection to specific files, run a manual backup and then change it back without corrupting my incremental chain?