Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Lunddahl
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ulrik Lunddahl

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Post by Lunddahl »

I have seen that Veeam Agent for Windows with a server license will be able to use VSS to interact with SQL Servers, do pre/post freeze scripts.

However, if i have a SQL server that are maintaining log files on a different cycle that the Veeam Backup jobs is scheduled, what will be the difference between running with a Free or Workstation vs a Server license, VSS will still be used, but logs will not be truncated or am i missing something.

We see a lot of PC "servers" in the small business segment, those servers are simply just workstations, but somehow include a MSSQL database in some form, often included with some special software, we want to be sure that we do not break something if we deploy Veeam Endpoint with a "backup everything you can find policy".

Regarding SMB, some have Windows Domain Controllers, will Veeam Agent for Windows include special treating in the restore process, like we know from VBR ?

- Lunddahl
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

You'll have the same log truncate & backup options with VAW as what you have today with virtualized MSSQL instances and VBR. In other words, if you want VAW to backup the entire box once a day but you want to backup transaction logs every 15 minutes you can do this.

And to your other questions, yes, we should pick up DCs allowing you options to restore users, computers, GPOs, etc.

Joe
glamic26
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by glamic26 » 1 person likes this post

chavron wrote:If I am reading everything here correctly, once the paid-for Veeam Agent for Windows is released, I'll get the same desktop functionality, but I still won't be able to edit and schedule the Endpoint backups in the Backup and Recovery console. I'll have to set those schedules manually while RDP/etc onto each workstation. Is this correct? If that's correct, that's a huge let-down, because this product could easily be used for an Acronis True Image replacement within a local environment. I think the Veeam Endpoint Protection product being manageable via the B&R console is what a lot of us have been waiting for Veeam Endpoint Backup to evolve into, so clarification on this is needed. What I'm reading is that Agent for Windows backups will only be able to be managed in the Veeam Availability Console. I'm also reading that the only entities that the VAC is going to be available to are service providers and "enterprise" (have yet to find Veeam's definition of what an enterprise is thus far). We are a firm with roughly 275 physical endpoints. Is the VAC available to us?
Anguel wrote:I think you understood it correctly. I am also very very disappointed and regret having paid for 2 more years Veeam Backup Essentials (VBR + Veeam One) maintenance. As a small business with 10-20 PCs I was really expecting to get Endpoint Backup integrated into VBR like they did it for LabTech. It not only did not get integrated but it looks like even if you pay for the new paid agents (prices are still to be seen) there is still no way for small businesses to centrally manage and monitor endpoint backups. Sorry Veeam, but it is the small businesses that really need such functionality as they don't have time and resources to write scripts and learn APIs. Again, extremely disappointed :cry:
I'm assuming that the silence regarding these points confirms that VAC is the only way to remotely and centrally manage Veeam Agents, and that this is not going to be possible in B&R console. This is really disappointing because we have no other reason to install VAC as we don't need any of the other functionality it provides. So why would we want to install an additional console to manage these agents when we really want to be keeping in a single console to manage all of our jobs? Are there any plans for central management of agents to be added to B&R in the near future? Without this the agents are pointless for us and we will continue to use products that do allow central management through the main console.
Zuendapp
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve

Post by Zuendapp »

Hi,

will the VEB be replaced by VAW (free Edition) or is there any update in future for VEB?

Best regards
rekun
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Post by rekun »

Hi

Veeam Agent Free edition will replace Endpoint Backup FREE (all current features should be maintained in the new agent)
JRJenZen
Novice
Full Name: 7

Post by JRJenZen »

Am i the only one who haven't received an invite to the beta yet ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

We have a use case we are hoping Agent for Windows will fix.
Unfortunately, it won’t. VAW single job may have only one target. As a possible workaround, you could use Veeam B&R Free and file to tape jobs plus some free VTL (like Quadstor) to put you archives to emulated tape media. This brings complicity to backup stratagem, however this approach is completely free, so worth testing.
Will I be able to control backup jobs with VAW server edition using powershell?
Should be possible to disable/enable backup jobs, but editing backup configuration won’t be supported.
For that matter, on the current Endpoint Backup could I manually change the job selection to specific files, run a manual backup and then change it back without corrupting my incremental chain?
Another idea. VAW 2.0 has import/export for backup job configuration. You can keep to xml for different backup jobs and swap it via import/export when required. Theoretically, this could be scheduled via windows Task Scheduler.
Are there any plans for central management of agents to be added to B&R in the near future?
Sure.
Veeam Agent Free edition will replace Endpoint Backup FREE (all current features should be maintained in the new agent)
Correct.
Am i the only one who haven't received an invite to the beta yet ?
On early stages beta invites are distributed in waves. We will sent the next portion of invitations on Monday.

Dear all. I answered your questions in ‘order of appearance’ but this tread becomes very cumbersome and very clumsy. Almost impossible to track all conversations in one place, so please if you have questions or feature requests – start a new topic instead of using this thread. Thank you for understanding.
smtech
Lurker
Full Name: Steven Knight

Post by smtech »

JRJenZen wrote:Am i the only one who haven't received an invite to the beta yet ?
Same boat. Is there any way to get 'bumped' closer to the front of the line?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Steven,

There is not a way to get bumped closer to the front of the line but rest assure, we are still sending out invites in waves. Sorry for the additional wait but this is necessary to not overload our support teams. Hope you understand
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

From what I know the plan is to finish sending invites this week, so the wait should not be too long!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

I just tried to install VEEAM Agent 2.0 Beta on our test machine and it has already stopped me from proceeding: I cannot upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 using the installer!

Does this imply there won't be an upgrade path from 1.5.0.306 to 2.0 when it comes out of Beta??? This is really worrying as it means uninstalling 1.5 and installing VEEAM 2.0 on hundreds of machines!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Just saw this in the 2.0 BETA notes:
• Upgrade from Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 is not supported, please do a clean install.
• Because of significant changes in both configuration and backup formats, we may not be able to provide the upgrade from BETA to GA build, and/or ability to restore from BETA backups in GA build. So please, do not assume that such compatibility will be available.
pber
Influencer
Full Name: Patrick Bernardin

Post by pber » 1 person likes this post

chavron wrote:If I am reading everything here correctly, once the paid-for Veeam Agent for Windows is released, I'll get the same desktop functionality, but I still won't be able to edit and schedule the Endpoint backups in the Backup and Recovery console. I'll have to set those schedules manually while RDP/etc onto each workstation. Is this correct? If that's correct, that's a huge let-down, because this product could easily be used for an Acronis True Image replacement within a local environment. I think the Veeam Endpoint Protection product being manageable via the B&R console is what a lot of us have been waiting for Veeam Endpoint Backup to evolve into, so clarification on this is needed. What I'm reading is that Agent for Windows backups will only be able to be managed in the Veeam Availability Console. I'm also reading that the only entities that the VAC is going to be available to are service providers and "enterprise" (have yet to find Veeam's definition of what an enterprise is thus far). We are a firm with roughly 275 physical endpoints. Is the VAC available to us?
Anguel wrote:I think you understood it correctly. I am also very very disappointed and regret having paid for 2 more years Veeam Backup Essentials (VBR + Veeam One) maintenance. As a small business with 10-20 PCs I was really expecting to get Endpoint Backup integrated into VBR like they did it for LabTech. It not only did not get integrated but it looks like even if you pay for the new paid agents (prices are still to be seen) there is still no way for small businesses to centrally manage and monitor endpoint backups. Sorry Veeam, but it is the small businesses that really need such functionality as they don't have time and resources to write scripts and learn APIs. Again, extremely disappointed :cry:
glamic26 wrote:I'm assuming that the silence regarding these points confirms that VAC is the only way to remotely and centrally manage Veeam Agents, and that this is not going to be possible in B&R console. This is really disappointing because we have no other reason to install VAC as we don't need any of the other functionality it provides. So why would we want to install an additional console to manage these agents when we really want to be keeping in a single console to manage all of our jobs? Are there any plans for central management of agents to be added to B&R in the near future? Without this the agents are pointless for us and we will continue to use products that do allow central management through the main console.
Agreed. What is the point unless we can control and manage the jobs from a single pane of glass.
ckreuzer
Lurker
Full Name: Colin Kreuzer

Post by ckreuzer »

hey there!

will it be possible to manage Veeam Agent for Windows by the Backup & Replication console?
I think about run/stop and edit the jobs?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not in the existing version of Veeam B&R (9.5), but this feature is planned for next major updates. As for now, it will be possible to do it via Veeam Availability Console.
abellamy
Lurker
Full Name: Ashley Bellamy

[MERGED] Veeam Agent 2.0 for Windows Release Date

Post by abellamy »

Hi,

Could anyone tell me when Veeam Agent 2.0 for Windows is released to GA?

We are currently trailing the beta version but would like to know when the final version is released.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please take a look at this post for more info.
zmedgyesi
Novice
Liked: 5 times

Post by zmedgyesi »

Based on a short test, some feedback and questions. My goal is to back up manager laptops (they are highly mobile), and, if possible, integrate this backup solution with our server backup system.

As others mentioned, central management of agent jobs would be great. But further, creating a new admin role also would be great. I mean, creating a helpdesk role, which can configure workstation jobs, check their status and restore files backed up by these jobs - but cannot reach server backups.

Another question is limiting bandwidth usage. The agent is able to disable backups over a metered connection. I don't know, how it determines if the connection is metered? What if I share the data connection of my mobile phone over WIFI, connect to it with my laptop and establish a VPN connection? Possible this setting could be more fine-grained, such as a) use 20% of bandwidth b) backup will happen even on a metered connection if two backups already failed and c) so on. :wink:
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi guys,

We just had a Veeam sales agent call us and offer a nice little discount if we purchase Veeam Agent 2.0 before the end of this month. When will 2.0 come out of beta? We need to know ASAP so as to make a decision whether to accept the offer or not as our company policy is not to install beta versions on production machines.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@zmedgyesi

We only see the connection as metered when Windows sees it as metered. So yes, when you share over WiFi or MiFi or similar, your laptop might not see this as metered unless you tell it yourself.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@AlexLeadingEdge

Honestly, I do not know the release date but hopefully @DimaP can give you some more information but I am pretty sure it won't be an exact date.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Mike, I don't need an exact date, just the month would be fine.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Alex,

End of March - April.
itrabbit
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dunleavy

Post by itrabbit »

Has the cost of the veeam agents been teleased? Ibtoo would like to jump on a special offer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

We already have SKU for Veeam Agent for Linux. If you want to know more about current special offers and pricing, please contact our sales team.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Dima P. wrote:Alex,

End of March - April.
Thank you :)
frisked
Novice
Full Name: Daniel Friske

Post by frisked »

Dima P. wrote:Alex,

End of March - April.
Any update on this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dima P wrote:Soon. As Anton mentioned in previous community digest we are in the final resting stage right now. Stay tuned for Veeam announcements.
;)
SRMETAS
Enthusiast
Full Name: Simon Roggli

Post by SRMETAS »

Under License Information in VEEAM B&R i have a test license for Windows Agents that will expire on May 1th. What will happen with my Agents? Will they stop working? Is it possible get a new testlicense as we have for the Linux Agents (expiration day August 31th) As soon the Windows Agent is final we will buy it but until the i need to be sure that is still can backup our physical servers and pc's
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Simon,

Dima P has posted this a few days ago: https://download2.veeam.com/vawbeta/vee ... ion_20.lic

Cheers