Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM moved to new vCenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Do you plan to failback to production (source site) after that? If yes, then you can temporarily create a new backup chain for these VMs and then continue your previous backup chains (once you perform the fallback operation). If you're planning to stay with DR VMs as a production environment, then doing modifications to the SQL database is the only way. Hope it helps!
hgreguric
Novice
Liked: never

Post by hgreguric »

Hello,
Yes after a while at the DR site we will go back to the production site but creating temporary jobs is not an option for us because if the customer has to do every time they will change Veeam for some other software, is there anywhere a guide how to manually update Veeam SQL database I saw one post on Veeam forums but it is not detailed enough?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For detailed guidance and assistance, you can try contacting our technical support team (they might be able to help if they have time) or use instructions from this KB > https://www.veeam.com/kb2136

On a side note, since you would need to do this twice, I'd recommend not touching the configuration database and continue backup chains as they are now.
TomaszZielinski
Service Provider
Full Name: Tom

[MERGED] Moving VM from one vcenter to another preserving backup chain

Post by TomaszZielinski »

Hi
I've must move vm's from one vcenter to another but I need to preserve backup chain (large deduplication, gfs so veeam serwer preserved). I've done some test and after moving vm to another vcenter, adding this vm back to job starts new chain. I think that I've must change something in vbm file? Maybe location of vm?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tomasz,

Moved your post to the existing thread to keep similar questions together.
You'll have to deal with VM MoRef IDs. Please review the discussions above (and check this kb).

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
post371316.html#p371316 provides unsupported SQL and PowerShell options as alternative.

Best regards,
Hannes
TomaszZielinski
Service Provider

Ok and how not to start new chain when moving vm to another vcenter and backup files to new veeam?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

vcenter migration utility (see answers above from my colleagues) or unsupported methods (see my post) are the two options.
and backup files to new veeam?
I got lost here... do you have a new Veeam backup server / repository and additionally VMs that were moved to a different VCenter?
TomaszZielinski
Service Provider

I'm moving VM's from vCenter-A to vCenter-B. In vCenter-A I have Veeam-A which is now connected do vCenter-B. In vCenter-B I have Veeam-B.
After move 85% of backups from Veeam-A will be made in Veeam-A but from vCenter-B. 15 % of backup will be copied to repo on Veeam-B and made from vCenter-B.
So first question was how to map backups to new vCenter and the answers are abowe. Second question is how to move vm to new vcenter and veeam preserving chain.
TomaszZielinski
Service Provider

And I need to copy this "15% backup" because Veeam-A is on virtual repo and Veeam-B repo is directly from storage
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I'm not 100% sure that I got everything, so I recommend to test it with some dummy VMs instead of production data. If I got it right, then a copy of the whole backup job data to Veeam-B and "map backup" in the new backup job on Veeam-B should do the job. https://www.veeam.com/kb1729

Realistically, I would start a new backup chain in any case. It's 2022 and as file system on the new storage, I would always use XFS or REFS to have fast clone / block cloning. Migration with copy & paste is impossible with fastcloning.
SerSunal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ser

[MERGED] Change of Vcenter server. How to redirect Veeam jobs

Post by SerSunal »

I make a query. My Veeam backs up virtual machines from a Vmware Vcenter. Now I replaced the Vcenter with another one, with another IP address. My question is if there is a quick way to edit the jobs since the virtual machines are now in the new vcenter. Or the only way is to remove them and add them back to the job's.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Change of Vcenter server. How to redirect Veeam jobs

Post by rennerstefan » 2 people like this post

Hi

as the new Vcenter will give your VMs a new MoRef ID you will need to readd them and also take care as with that you will see new full backup.

See also here: vmware-vsphere-f24/vm-moved-to-new-vcen ... 8-270.html

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA